Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Day 30 - Up, Up and AWAY!


On this final day of my September 30-Day Challenge, I had already picked out a name for my entry, and had to come up with an idea for a photo that would fit the picture.  I think that's a little backwards, but that's just what happened.

My camera will be thanking me, since it took over 480 shots today to get this image.  Each time you add another drop to the image, you have to figure out, in milliseconds, the size of the drop, the delay between drops, and the flash delay to capture the collision at the optimum time.  Since one drop (the green one today) comes up from below, there is also an additional need to keep the pressure up on the sprayer, as well as figure out the delay necessary to sync the upward drop to pass through the downward drops, so those variables also come into play in figuring out timing and drop sizes.

I am delighted that I was able to figure out programming to capture the upward jet after it had completely left the nozzle, and still get the falling drops to collide with it.  It gives a fabulous feeling of satisfaction to know that I managed to do it!

So, after a month of many, many shots to get the 30 I have posted, I can say that am very pleased with my photos and I have learned much and hopefully opened up some new neural synapses to stave off brain atrophy.   :)

Thanks for following me on this adventure.  I hope you have enjoyed the variety of splashes I was able to capture that show so much of what takes place without our ever seeing it, without the assistance of a camera to stop the action.

** Again, apologies for the darkness of the picture in the blog.  It can be seen on Flickr and Worth1000 in its proper color.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, WOW, WWWOOOOWWW! Okay, this is crazy beautiful and suspended in mid-air like some glorious ballerina just almost makes me squeal! I read your description of how you did this and of course, I don't understand it but the image is splendorous! It has been an absolute joy for me to see the art that you've created with a bit of water and coloring and not much else and not only once, but over and over. There is not one that is not gorgeous and the last one is just extra icing on a delicious cake.
    Congratulations on doing the entire month of what was a very time-consuming and almost herculean challenge. Many have finished the month. Many have done great work. Few have come anywhere near the jaw-dropping images I have seen here.
    You can truly be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I am sure that you have exceeded your own expectations this month. Such a bonus that Peter brought over new and exciting opportunities, and you adapt so easily. Yes, I do believe you have joined the ranks of Corrie White, Markus Reugels and Helene Caillaud...I can now ask for help and guidance once again from one of my favorite mentors!!! Excellent way to end your month!
    PS Deleted previous comment because I had to correct Helene's spelling, I didn't want to offend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations upon the completion of this demanding challenge. Think of all the knowledge you have gained from this exercise! It was well worth the effort - a superb collection of water drop art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done on completing the challenge. You have some very nice shots here and I think that they make a great collection and would be fantastic in an art gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your very kind and generous comments today and throughout the month. I really appreciate your taking the time to follow my journey, and I'm glad you have enjoyed the images!

    ReplyDelete