Friday, September 26, 2014

Day 26 - Onward and Upward!


My favorite water drop mentor, Peter (N7000) from Switzerland, visited me again today and brought me a 'kit' he had assembled with nozzles and pressurized sprayer, which now allows me to divert one of my valves and shoot a water jet upward.  All of my photos so far have been of collisions created by dropping a drop from above, and waiting for it to rebound back up so it could collide with another later-released drop.   Now, I have the option of shooting a jet upward, and simultaneously, or almost so, releasing a drop (or several) from above.  With proper timing and alignment, a collision will occur.    

Setting up and coordinating the new  was easy.  Peter did it!  Figuring out all the new math (numbers in milliseconds to determine size of drops, delays between drops, when the flashes would go off, etc., etc.) was a bit harder, as was "locating" the collision zone in a place that would be attractive and visible in the camera's field of view.  Not too low, not too high.  Plus all the other variables that come into play also made us put on our thinking caps.

We got a few basic collisions after working on it for awhile, then it was time for a quick lunch and back to the airport for Peter, who returns back to Switzerland tonight!

What a great friend, and a wonderful inspiration and mentor!   Thank you, Peter!  

5 comments:

  1. Playing catch up on what I've missed!! These are incredible! So let me get this straight...you see Peter A LOT more than me and he lives a bazillion miles away. :-/ Im only a 3 hour plane ride away. Something is wrong with this picture. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, again another amazing photograph. The liquid coming from the bottom gives a whole new style of shape and the tiniest ripple from below. On my monitor the background seems a bit too grey. I wonder if a small levels adjustment would be needed as it would really make the image pop. Still beautiful anyways. You are so lucky to have become friends with Peter. He seems to be an amazing individual!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL of these are amazing! I am in awe every day!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of a graduation hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes a whole new arena for you to investigate. Keep on truckin'

    ReplyDelete